2016 Four Way Books June Open Reading Period
Submission Dates: June 1 – June 30, 2016 (postmarked), or online, via our submission manager by July 1 at 3 AM EST, to accommodate our west coast friends.
Open to all poets and fiction writers. Book-length poetry collections, story collections and novellas.
We do not publish novels, translations, or non fiction.
Submissions accepted on-line (preferred) and by mail.
Please read the following instructions carefully.
GENERAL GUIDELINES (for all submissions)
• Submit a previously unpublished, full-length poetry manuscript, story collection or novella in English. Include a cover page with your name, address, phone number, and email.
• Material in your manuscript may have been published previously in chapbook, magazine, journal or anthology form, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished. You may include an acknowledgments page of previous publications if you would like to do so.
• Page lengths: Single Novella should be between 120-180 pages;story collection, approximately 200-300 pages; poetry collections, approximately 48-80 pages of text, no more than one poem per page, please. More than one section of a poem can appear on a page, of course. These are page length suggestions. We allow more or less pages.
• Please use a legible 12 point font. Please use 1-1/2 or double spacing for fiction; for poetry, your preference. You may include a table of contents, acknowledgment page, etc. if you would like to do so.
• Do not include art work.
• Translations and previously self-published books are not eligible.
• You may submit multiple manuscripts, but each must be treated as an individual submission, submitted separately, and each requires an entry fee of $30.00 per submission. Each must have complete contact info, etc.
• If you pay the entry fee but fail to submit your manuscript by the deadline, your fee will not be returned.
• Please let us know immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
Click Here for our submission manager.
By mail (USPS only. No Fed Ex or UPS, for example)
• Include one cover page with the title of your work and all of your contact information, including your email address if you have one.
• Include an entry fee of $30.00 with your submission, by check, made payable to Four Way Books. A stamped self-addressed postcard may be included to confirm receipt of manuscript.
Mail submission and entry fee of 30.00 to:
Four Way Books
POB 535 Village Station
New York NY 10014
Our Reading Policy
Our preliminary readers are selected by the director of the press and are published writers, experienced editors, and/or writers who have received a graduate degree in creative writing or literature. We do not employ students to read manuscripts. Each manuscript is read by at least two readers. We rotate our readers seasonally so that those writers who wish to re-submit to Four Way Books can be assured that their manuscript(s) will receive fresh “reads.” Selections for publications are made by the director and associate directors of Four Way Books.