Job Description: Publicist
Award-winning Four Way Books is seeking a literary publicist to work on publicity campaigns and strategic planning for 15-18 literary titles a year (mostly poetry, some fiction, and nonfiction) divided between spring and fall releases and lead publicity outreach efforts for the press itself. The publicist will create and execute publicity campaigns for our authors, working closely with our authors, director, book distributor, and media contacts.
What you’ll do will include and not be limited to:
- Actively develop and maintain strong relationships with media contacts, including national, regional, local, online, and podcasts, specifically for poetry and short fiction.
- Coordinate mailings and maintain records of books based on internal databases and author requests and create messaging for the press materials and pitches to media.
- Develop creative and effective pitches for books and authors, pitch for coverage to selected print and online book review editors, podcasts, radio hosts, TV producers, etc.
- Actively maintain internal communications with frequent updates on confirmed and pending reviews, awards, interviews, and other press hits.
- Lead & take notes during routine staff meetings updating the team on the status of all editorial, production, and publicity projects.
- Create all press materials for all titles, including press releases, pitch letters, email blasts, and social media campaigns.
- Manage Four Way Books’ social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Attend sales conferences with reps via Zoom or in Chicago.
- Create & schedule email campaigns through Constant Contact.
- Works with distributor’s sales reps to promote titles to bookstore buyers.
- Manage metadata for all titles through distributor’s title management software.
- Submit all books to several awards throughout the year.
- Pitch & prepare authors for readings, panels, interviews, and other events (currently virtual-only through platforms such as Zoom and StreamYard) for bookstores, schools, colleges, universities, festivals, etc.
- Host in-person and virtual events for authors.
- Oversee Four Way Books’ involvement in the annual Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP) conference and travel to conferences and sales conferences.
- Coordinate Four Way Books’ fundraising events (annual benefit, salons) & mailings (letters & invitations).
- Manage multiple seasonal interns.
- Respond in a very timely way to emails and other communications from staff and authors, reviewers, etc.
What you’ll bring:
- Strong creative thinking & problem-solving skills
- Good judgment in decision-making; includes appropriate people in the decision-making process.
- An attentive reader of poetry, short fiction, memoir
- Prioritize and use time effectively
- Attention to detail
- Ability to keep deadlines in the forefront (sending out books for award deadlines, e.g.)
- Ability to multitask effectively
- Excellent written/verbal communication
- Ability to host events on zoom, introduce readers and work remotely in an efficient manner
- Possible in-person hosting in NYC at annual writers conferences around the county, live events (readings, benefits), ability to field questions
- Excellent organizational skills
- Knowledge of office suite (word, excel, etc), Adobe products, ability and willingness to learn how to use software such as Giftworks database management, Title management, Eidelweiss, some basic HTML.
- Bachelor of Arts degree. MA or MFA helpful.
- Office experience.
- Ability to work with a small team remotely and possibly in-person, or in a hybrid situation.
- Salaried position for 30 hours a week (more when there are evening or weekend events), spread out over 4 or 5 days a week M-F. Depending on the location of the hiree, hosting of live events in the future during evening hours; conferences, etc. all to be determined when in-person events occur.
- Hours 11-5 eastern (can be flexible — 8-2 Pacific, for example)
- Good vacation and personal day policy
Please send cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Four Way Books is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.